Monday, August 21, 2006

BEHIND THE LENS - August 18 2006 -

Football Stars For Tomorrow - www.storkmontgomery.com

Cross Town Rival

Destruction of Property

Jitters


It is a wonderful day in Middle TN, and we are about 6 hours away from punching our ticket to the 2006 football season.
Like it or not, the time has come to buckle up the helmets and crack some plastic.


Cross Town Rival
Every community has them, and they exist in all sports. The team you must beat regardless of talent either squad has. I have heard it all, from siblings who played in these, all the way to parents who went head to head years ago and now their sons will battle it out for bragging rights until the next meeting.

The rival that was big in my time was the Edmonson County Wildcats versus the my Grayson County Cougars. They called it the Famous Tobacco Bowl. We played for a tobacco stick colored in each teams dominant color for keeps until next year. The games were always close and it was usually the first game of the season.

Wow, the irony is we play La Vergne tonight, our cross town rival and it is game 1.

PS: We are not playing for a tobacco stick.

Destruction of Property
I never will understand why people destroy things - Vandals damage high school ball fields.
I understand the rival part, but the destruction of property has no relationship to the game.

Edmonson County once shot a shotgun at our bus on the way home, and another year they put a dead skunk on the bus while we played. If you play a sport or you are a fan of the game, please email me and explain to me the relationship of destroying property. storkmontgomery@earthlink.net

I guess it is like destroying friendships, marriages, and families. When you really get to the person who is the catalyst for starting the whole thing their reason or purpose has no substance. In the end it just causes bitterness.

Jitters
Players have them

Announcers have them

Coaches have them.

Moms, Dads and Fans have them

Lights Camera Action

Tonight’s contest between cross town rival Lavergne and Smryna is on CSS. I have received several text messages from the players and they are so excited about this game. Both of these squads are loaded and this game is going to be a knock down drag out until the buzzer sounds.

I have jitters also, I have a son who is playing in the game and I want to catch all the plays, good or bad, on film. Once the ride starts tonight the grind begins.
I am so ready for this year to get going, I have been giddy about the kids getting to play on TV. This maybe the only time that some of them ever get on TV unless they do something stupid like the paragraph before touches on.

That's A Wrap
Thanks, and give a shout or a wave if you see me at the game.

Until next week...God Bless and Take Care


From Behind The Lens.
The Stork
“A man who truly delivers”

Football Stars For Tomorrow - www.storkmontgomery.com

No comments: