Friday, October 26, 2007

BEHIND THE LENS - October 26, 2007 -

Football Stars For Tomorrow - www.storkmontgomery.com

Being Cocky vs. Being Ignorant
Parody in NCAA Scholarships
Ref made the wrong call


Well it's finally here RIVERDALE vs. SMYRNA. We all have waited one year for the rematch of this game. I have three topics, so let's jump right in.


Being Cocky vs. Being Ignorant
The message board here in Middle TN has been busy with all kids of predictions, trends, match ups and just plain ole ignorance.

Back in the Day O smack talk was done, but only during the contest. It very rarely got out of hand. In today's age of internet and message boards you can make any statement and the whole world can view your post prior to the contest.

I like some of it, and the rest I can do without. I like talking about the basic who, what and why. But I am not really into "my team is better than yours". I like hearing the keys to winning the game and understanding the philosophies of the coach's mindset. But I can do without somebody posting "We will beat you bad Friday Night".

Back in the day, I can remember when Rex Chapman would tell something like this; "Hey next time down I am going to dunk right over you" and he would. Was he bragging or being cocky? I don't know, but boy he could back it up.

Enough said.

Parody in NCAA Scholarships
The accountability in scholarships for each university is going to really show up over the next few years.

If you haven't heard, each school has so many scholarships they must maintain and all of the kids must graduate in their set year. If a college kid leaves for the NFL after his junior year, that specific school will not be able to re-fill that scholarship until two years after his departure. It is simple to visualize, but hard explaining it on paper. Bottom line is the kids that are recruited this year need to stay in school for their allotted time and graduate.

This will cause a ton of parody. In my opinion, it will give those teams that follow the law of NCAA and added advantage in the years to come. Don't be surprised if you see some teams that are flying high today begin to sink soon. Enough said.

Ref made the wrong call
We have touched on this a couple of times, and I was speaking with several people about high school officiating. Personally I don't have a problem with the calls that are made on the field. Tennessee refs have been told that if they see it, "call it" but don't assume that you thought you saw it. In other words, be certain if you throw the flag.

It is a tough job wearing those stripes in all sports. If you think that you yourself would like that abuse then get involved. All you have to do is take the courses and pass the test. I warn you though, it's like filming games, and it's not a needle mover when it comes to income. You do it because you love the game.

That's A Wrap
Well tonight is going to be wild. We are the Comcast feature game of the week. WGNS will be there and you can also listen live over the internet.

It should be interesting dialogue in the press box. This is also Senior night and that means a lot those kids playing in the last regular season home game. I was thinking about how time flies from 1998 when my son played his first game of organized football. Tonight's his last home game at the Dog Pound. It has been a great ride. I have been told by many that nothing lasts forever and all things are temporary. I now understand some of those things that my wise old friends have shared with me.

On another note, this is the beginning of other things. My future wife to be (getting married on November 17th) will get to see this classic battle for the first time in hear life. Oh well, some things end and some things begin.

I hope all of you can tune in one way or another to this game, and we will see what happens. If you see us at the game, give me a shout or a wave. Until next week.

God bless and Take Care.


From Behind The Lens.
The Stork
“A man who truly delivers”


Football Stars For Tomorrow - www.storkmontgomery.com

No comments: